1895 - The Elephant Gun was invented  

GregBO
Admin
28/03/2019 8:26 pm  

When Europeans began to actively explore Africa in the early 1800's, the firearms available for protection and hunting were calibered for European prey.  Non-African game was much larger and much more dangerous then many of the remaining animals being hunted in Europe.

Conventional shotgun designs were used in Africa but larger animals like elephants could take 35 shots before being killed.  The large heavy firearms produced in the 1850-1890 black powder era for Africa became known as Elephant Guns.  Elephant guns were used to kill rhinoceros, cape buffalo and hippopotamus in addition to elephant.

The commonality between all elephant guns was the ability to 'stop a fast moving animal' prior to the hunter being harmed.

'Because black powder and lead cannot go faster than about 1,500 feet per second (460 m/s) - the only way to make the projectiles go deeper into the animals' skins was to make a larger gun. Although they were very powerful, the short slugs (a type of projectile), which did not go very fast, still had problems going fully into their targets. This was especially hard for the toughest shot of all - going through the bone when an elephant's head was shot around the brain area.'  Per Wikipedia

Teddy Roosevelt with a large-caliber rifle and dead elephant.

During World War I, both the British and Germans used elephant guns taken from their African colonies when they tried to break the stalemate in the trenches. The British used elephant guns against the German tactic of having their snipers advance towards Allied lines under the cover of a large, 6-10 millimeter (0.24-0.4 inch) thick steel plate.[1] Ordinary infantry rifles didn't do anything to the plate, but elephant guns were able to punch through it. Likewise, the Germans used a mass-produced anti-tank rifle, the Mauser 1918 TuF Gewehr, to knock out lightly armored British tanks.

During the North African Campaign in 1941, the Italians in East Africa fought against the British. The Commander - The Duke of Aosta - gave his personal collection of elephant guns to his Italian soldiers to shoot armored cars because they didn't have enough anti-tank guns.

One of the more famous calibers of all times is the Holland & Holland .700 Nitro Express.   Factory loaded rounds are still available between $50.00-100.00 each, while the rifles themselves start at $10,000.00

700-kl05

1,000 gr (65 g) SP 2,000 ft/s (610 m/s) 8,900 ft⋅lbf (12,100 J)

Above is a .700 Nitro Express double rifle (left) and a .270 Winchester (right).

sa16

​"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." -Albert Pike

​"​My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.​" - Clarence Buddinton Kelland

Old Buck
Arbiter
28/03/2019 8:28 pm  

Here is some testing footage for you!

Do NOT chase tail. Turn yours around and live FREE!

ReplyQuote
Xanthine
Founder .
28/03/2019 8:35 pm  

MAN that looks fun! If I ever happen across ten grand to blow on a new range toy, I will definitely consider getting one of those!

ReplyQuote
Uly The Cunning
Admin
28/03/2019 10:30 pm  

If money was not an issue, I would definitely own one of these.

"Remember, you're fighting for this woman's honor, which is probably more than she ever did."
Groucho Marx: Duck Soup (1933)

Beered by Old Buck
ReplyQuote
Old Buck
Arbiter
28/03/2019 10:32 pm  

Not me.  I value the nerve endings in my right shoulder and arm.  After a couple shots with that rifle, just sighting in the scope, you can count on NOT masturbating for a few weeks...

Shocked Oh No GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Shocked GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

ReplyQuote
GregBO
Admin
29/03/2019 3:05 pm  

Check Xanthine and Uly. A weapon like this could be hung on a wall and invoke much comment and envy, but it would have the same satisfaction of a trophy bride.

Taking it into the bush on a close quarter hunt is why this weapon was designed.  Close range, only two shots, you against your beast of choice. 

A single shot "Gibbs Farquharson 700 N.E. Africa Custom Rifle" is currently being offered on Gunbroker.com for $24,499.00.  The weapon design has an 1872 patent and this weapon is engraved with serial # 003.  

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/799762756#carousel-modal-view-item

A beautiful work of precision art that deserves more than a gun rack in the truck or over the fireplace.

​"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." -Albert Pike

​"​My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.​" - Clarence Buddinton Kelland

ReplyQuote
GregBO
Admin
29/03/2019 3:10 pm  
Posted by: Old Buck

Not me.  I value the nerve endings in my right shoulder and arm.  After a couple shots with that rifle, just sighting in the scope, you can count on NOT masturbating for a few weeks...

Scope, where's your sense of adventure OldBuck.  You don't need a scope to use a .700 Nitro for hunting! Next you'll want rails for a flashlight, laser, and a ring for hanging a pine scented air freshner!  😀 😆 

ReplyQuote
Old Buck
Arbiter
29/03/2019 3:59 pm  

Any by the way, who's smart idea is it to teach elephants how to shoot?  Is this some type of CIA operative program to reduce the poacher population?

The trigger guard has to be MASSIVE as elephant toes are quite large.  I am also led to believe they require a lot of trunk space...

This is why elephants prefer melee weapons.

1000+ images about The Far Side on Pinterest

Pin by Stephen Gent on Life, the universe and everything ...

Your daily Far side comics. | Far Side | Pinterest

960 best images about the far side ~ by gary larson on ...

Beered by Xanthine
ReplyQuote
GregBO
Admin
29/03/2019 7:00 pm  

Nice Buck but the Far Side post is looking for this runaway herd. You better watch out or they will come get you!

ReplyQuote
Advertisements