Notifications
Clear all

June 17, 1980: Atari registers the first two video games  

GregBO
Admin
18/06/2020 5:22 am  

June 17, 1980, Atari's "Asteroids" and "Lunar Lander" are the first two video games to be copyright registered within the United States.

Atari – Typedeck

Asteroids is a space-themed multidirectional shooter arcade game designed by Lyle Rains, Ed Logg, and Dominic Walsh and released in November 1979 by Atari, Inc. The player controls a single spaceship in an asteroid field which is periodically traversed by flying saucers. The object of the game is to shoot and destroy the asteroids and saucers, while not colliding with either, or being hit by the saucers' counter-fire. The game becomes harder as the number of asteroids increases.

Asteroids was one of the first major hits of the golden age of arcade games; the game sold over 70,000 arcade cabinets and proved both popular with players and influential with developers. In the 1980s it was ported to Atari's home systems, and the Atari VCS version sold over three million copies. The game was widely imitated, and it directly influenced DefenderGravitar, and many other video games.

Lunar Lander is a single-player arcade game in the Lunar Lander subgenre. It was developed by Atari, Inc. and released in August 1979. In the game, the player controls a lunar landing module as viewed from the side and attempts to land safely on the Moon. The player burns fuel points to rotate the module and fires a thruster to counteract gravity, earning points based on the skillfulness and difficulty of the landing. 

Advertising flyer for the game

The game resets the module after every successful landing or crash with a new landing terrain and ends when the player runs out of fuel. Players can insert more coins at any time to buy more fuel, allowing for potentially indefinite game play.

​"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." -Albert Pike

​"​My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.​" - Clarence Buddinton Kelland

Beered by Uly The Cunning, Untamed, Don Keyknob and 2 people
Sobieski
Arbiter
18/06/2020 1:01 pm  

I remember the good ole 2600 hundred and the simple one button joystick.  How far have video games come.

Beered by Uly The Cunning, Untamed, Don Keyknob and 3 people
ReplyQuote
GregBO
Admin
18/06/2020 8:22 pm  

@sobieski

The crazy fun number of hours spent on these games is incredible.  Pitfall on the 2600, Zaxxon, Defender!  All good times

​"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." -Albert Pike

​"​My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.​" - Clarence Buddinton Kelland

Beered by Uly The Cunning, Untamed, Don Keyknob and 2 people
ReplyQuote
The Evil Genius
Admin
19/06/2020 1:58 am  

SPACE INVADERS! AND LHX! 

Beered by Uly The Cunning, Untamed, Don Keyknob and 1 people
ReplyQuote
Old Buck
Arbiter
19/06/2020 2:49 am  

I have asteroids, and have to use Preparation H once in a while...

My uncle had a ColecoVision, we played Dungeons & Dragons for DAYS!

Our family had the Magnavox Odyssey2, favorites were Bowling and Space Invaders.

Do NOT chase tail. Turn yours around and live FREE!

Beered by Uly The Cunning, Untamed, The Evil Genius and 2 people
ReplyQuote
Don Keyknob
19/06/2020 6:27 am  

Daley Thompson's Decathlon, Pele's soccer and Tank Command.

I'd have kicked all yo' butts!!!!!

Anyone else pull the rubber off the joystick for extra speed and agility??

Beered by Uly The Cunning, Untamed, The Evil Genius and 2 people
ReplyQuote
GregBO
Admin
19/06/2020 1:47 pm  

@don-keyknob

Don, the rubber was placed there for your protection, and the rest of society when you think about it! 🤣 

Honestly I was not competitive enough to have considered this advantage, good show!

Beered by Uly The Cunning, Untamed, Old Buck and 2 people
ReplyQuote
Don Keyknob
19/06/2020 2:12 pm  
Posted by: @gregboamat

@don-keyknob

Don, the rubber was placed there for your protection, and the rest of society when you think about it! 🤣 

Honestly I was not competitive enough to have considered this advantage, good show!

Go bareback - or Go home!! 🤣 

I ain't got no time for you rubber using amateurs. 

When your best mate can do the 110 meter hurdles in 11.85 seconds - you need all the help you can get!!!!!!! 

And don't even get me started on the pole vault.....just dont!! 

Beered by Uly The Cunning, GregBO, Untamed and 2 people
ReplyQuote
The Evil Genius
Admin
19/06/2020 5:05 pm  

A few years back Gregbo was kind enough to get me one of those 100 old game retro console things. My dirty little secret is I still play it once in awhile and I love it. 😊 

Beered by Uly The Cunning, GregBO, Untamed and 2 people
ReplyQuote
Old Buck
Arbiter
19/06/2020 8:49 pm  

To dearest Don...

Do NOT chase tail. Turn yours around and live FREE!

ReplyQuote
Don Keyknob
19/06/2020 10:54 pm  

Cheers Buck

🤣 😆 😀 🤣 😆 

ReplyQuote
Untamed
Founder
22/06/2020 5:08 pm  
Posted by: @old-buck

To dearest Don...

C'mon !  That's worth at least a gold medal !  She TRIED so hard and stellarly succeeded in her try

In the future, pole jumping will be fashioned after her heroic try and the winner will be the one to let go of the pole the soonest.

What about the JUMP part you say!? Why, you chauvinist pig !!

Don't let them blame, shame or tame you!

ReplyQuote
GregBO
Admin
24/06/2020 1:44 am  

@don-keyknob

Any decent car should be able to do the 100 much faster then 11 seconds.  Might be time to upgrade your tricycle to a bicycle! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Don Keyknob
24/06/2020 3:10 am  

Way ahead of you Greg lad..........

A monkey riding a bike, It's something I like | Monkeys funny

Beered by Uly The Cunning and GregBO
ReplyQuote
GregBO
Admin
24/06/2020 4:03 am  

@don-keyknob

You look very dapper in your bonnet en laine!

ReplyQuote
Don Keyknob
24/06/2020 4:58 am  
Posted by: @gregbo

@don-keyknob

You look very dapper in your bonnet en laine!

🙄

OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!!!

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 

Beered by Uly The Cunning
ReplyQuote
Advertisements