Notifications
Clear all

June 2, 1896: Italian inventor Guglielmo Marconi applies for wireless telegraph patent  

GregBO
Admin
02/06/2020 5:33 pm  

At the age of 22, Italian inventor and electrical engineer Guglielmo Marconi applied for a patent for his wireless telegraph on june 2, 1896.  British Patent number 12039.

An electrical telegraph was the first electrical telecommunications system, the most widely used of a number of early messaging systems called telegraphs, devised to send text messages more rapidly than written messages could be sent. This system allowed for communication to occur without the necessity of physical transportation.  Prior to this, beacons, smoke signal, flag semaphore, and optical telegraphs used visual signals to communicate over distances of land.

Marconi was born into the Italian nobility as Guglielmo Giovanni Maria Marconi in Bologna, the second son of Giuseppe Marconi (an Italian aristocratic landowner from Porretta Terme) and his Irish wife Annie Jameson (daughter of Andrew Jameson of Daphne Castle in County Wexford, Ireland and granddaughter of John Jameson, founder of whiskey distillers Jameson & Sons). Marconi had a brother, Alfonso, and a stepbrother, Luigi.

Marconi's first transmitter incorporating a monopole antenna. It consisted of an elevated copper sheet (top) connected to a Righi spark gap (left) powered by an induction coil (center) with a telegraph key (right) to switch it on and off to spell out text messages in Morse code.

Marconi did not attend school as a child and did not go on to formal higher education.  Instead, he learned chemistry, math, and physics at home from a series of private tutors hired by his parents.  His family hired additional tutors for Guglielmo in the winter when they would leave Bologna for the warmer climate of Tuscany or Florence.  Marconi noted an important mentor was professor Vincenzo Rosa, a high school physics teacher in Livorno.  Rosa taught the 17-year-old Marconi the basics of physical phenomena as well as new theories on electricity.   At the age of 18 and back in Bologna, Marconi became acquainted with University of Bologna physicist Augusto Righi, who had done research on Heinrich Hertz's work.   Righi permitted Marconi to attend lectures at the university and also to use the University's laboratory and library.

Marconi with early system of wireless telegraphy

In the summer of 1895, Marconi's experimental apparatus proved to be the first engineering-complete, commercially successful radio transmission system.  Marconi wrote to the Ministry of Post and Telegraphs explaining his wireless telegraph machine and asking for funding.  He never received a response to his letter, which was eventually dismissed by the Minister, who wrote "to the Longara" on the document, referring to the insane asylum on Via della Lungara in Rome.

In 1896, Marconi spoke with his family friend Carlo Gardini, Honorary Consul at the United States Consulate in Bologna, about leaving Italy to go to England.  Gardini wrote a letter of introduction to the Ambassador of Italy in London, Annibale Ferrero, explaining who Marconi was and about his extraordinary discoveries.   In his response, Ambassador Ferrero advised them not to reveal Marconi's results until after a patent was obtained. He also encouraged Marconi to come to England where he believed it would be easier to find the necessary funds to convert his experiments into practical use.

Finding little interest or appreciation for his work in Italy, Marconi travelled to London in early 1896 at the age of 21, accompanied by his mother, to seek support for his work. (He spoke fluent English in addition to Italian.)  Marconi arrived at Dover, and the Customs officer opened his case to find various apparatus.  The customs officer immediately contacted the Admiralty in London.  While there, Marconi gained the interest and support of William Preece, the Chief Electrical Engineer of the British Post Office. 

British Post Office engineers inspect Marconi's radio equipment during a demonstration on Flat Holm Island.

On 13 May 1897, Marconi sent the first ever wireless communication over open sea, a message was transmitted over the Bristol Channel from Flat Holm Island to Lavernock Point in Penarth, a distance of 6 kilometres (3.7 mi). The message read "Are you ready".

During this time Marconi decided he should patent his system, which he applied for on 2 June 1896, British Patent number 12039 titled "Improvements in Transmitting Electrical impulses and Signals, and in Apparatus therefor", which would become the first patent for a radio wave base communication system.

Plaque on the outside of the BT Centre commemorates Marconi's first public transmission of wireless signals.

Marconi shared the 1909 Nobel Prize in Physics with Karl Ferdinand Braun "in recognition of their contributions to the development of wireless telegraphy".  Both Marconi and Nikola Tesla filed numerous radio patents during the early 1900's in both Britain and the United States.

​"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." -Albert Pike

​"​My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.​" - Clarence Buddinton Kelland

Beered by Don Keyknob, The Evil Genius, Old Buck and 1 people
GregBO
Admin
02/06/2020 5:48 pm  

Prior to the deployment of wireless telegraphy, communications between nations was accomplished by post.

Worldwide postal speeds in 1852
A letter by post from London took
days to reach
12 New York in the United States
13 Alexandria in Egypt
19 Constantinople in Ottoman Turkey
33 Bombay in India (west coast of India)
44 Calcutta in Bengal (east coast of India)
45 Singapore
57 Shanghai in China

Sydney in Australia

In 1897 Marconi created and registered the world's first wireless telegraph & signal company, Wireless Telegraph & Signal Company, in Chelmsford England.

Marconi’s first aim in perfecting communication without wires had been to break the isolation of those at sea.  The first life-saving possibilities of wireless were realised in 1899 when a wireless message was received from the East Goodwin lightship - which had been equipped with Marconi wireless apparatus.  It had been rammed in dense fog by a steamship R.F. Matthews. A request was made for the assistance of a lifeboat.

Modern East Goodwin Lightship

In January 1909, over 1,700 people were rescued at sea when the S.S. Republic was in collision with an Italian steamer, the Florida in thick fog off the US East Coast.  For two days in freezing conditions Jack Binns, the Marconi radio operator aboard the Republic, sent out a total of two hundred messages to help guide rescuing ships to his stricken vessel’s position.  Thanks to his messages, all but those passengers killed by the initial impact were rescued.  Binns received a special medal for his services and Marconi himself presented him with a gold watch.

S.S. Republic

This picture of SS Florida was taken by Martin & Ottaway, a New Jersey marine consulting firm, after Florida collided with Republic. Florida survived the collision and was repaired in 24 days.

The role played by Marconi Co. wireless in maritime rescues raised public awareness of the value of radio and brought fame to Marconi, particularly in the sinking of the RMS Titanic on 15 April 1912 and the RMS Lusitania on 7 May 1915.

RMS Titanic radio operators Jack Phillips and Harold Bride were not employed by the White Star Line but by the Marconi International Marine Communication Company.  After the sinking of the ocean liner on 15 April 1912, survivors were rescued by the RMS Carpathia of the Cunard Line.  Also employed by the Marconi Company was David Sarnoff, who later headed RCA. Wireless communications were reportedly maintained for 72 hours between Carpathia and Sarnoff,  but Sarnoff's involvement has been questioned by some modern historians.   When Carpathia docked in New York, Marconi went aboard with a reporter from The New York Times to talk with Bride, the surviving operator.

On 18 June 1912, Marconi gave evidence to the Court of Inquiry into the loss of Titanic regarding the marine telegraphy's functions and the procedures for emergencies at sea.  Britain's postmaster-general summed up, referring to the Titanic disaster: "Those who have been saved, have been saved through one man, Mr. Marconi ... and his marvellous invention."  Marconi was offered free passage on Titanic before she sank, but had taken Lusitania three days earlier.  As his daughter Degna later explained, he had paperwork to do and preferred the public stenographer aboard that vess

​"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." -Albert Pike

​"​My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.​" - Clarence Buddinton Kelland

ReplyQuote
Untamed
Founder
02/06/2020 6:22 pm  

Aaaand another Man 👍 

If it weren't for men, they couldn't even be on these devices that take pictures of their ass to send to Chad.

Don't let them blame, shame or tame you!

ReplyQuote
GregBO
Admin
02/06/2020 8:03 pm  

@untamed

the unexpected consequences of one persons actions.  The wireless communication was invented and deployed, countless lives were saved as a result. 

ReplyQuote
Old Buck
Arbiter
03/06/2020 2:53 am  

Marconi used Nicoli Tesla's work as a basis for his invention.  I still credit Tesla for his theories for Marconi's inventions.

Tesla invented the components and theory, allowing Marconi to develop the system.  

As a ham radio operator, I respect BOTH men as pioneers for my hobby.  If it wasn't for these free thinking men, today's society would be drastically different.

https://teslauniverse.com/nikola-tesla/articles/tesla-invented-radio-not-marconi

As a side note, Edison envisioned DC power for the nation, but it was very inefficient.  Tesla came up with AC (alternating current) which he sold to Westinghouse and is currently used in EVERY household.

Do NOT chase tail. Turn yours around and live FREE!

Beered by Don Keyknob, Untamed, The Evil Genius and 1 people
ReplyQuote
GregBO
Admin
03/06/2020 3:12 am  

@old-buck

Check Buck.  It was a different world back them, today's ever present technical espionage was much more limited and inventions were demonstrated for peer review the majority of time.  Brilliant minds were mentored, encouraged and supported.

Transformative ideas and creative men were more the norm then than today.

Beered by Don Keyknob, Untamed, The Evil Genius and 1 people
ReplyQuote
Old Buck
Arbiter
03/06/2020 3:36 am  

To me, it shows men working off one another's ideas to make a better world.  

Marconi was better at capitalizing ideas, creating patents on his inventions.  

Either way, it shows men with visions of the future.  Females concentrate on the here and now.  

If you can take a man's vision and make it better, you are helping society.  

Never give up on making your life better or easier.  It will be an inspiration to those around you!

Do NOT chase tail. Turn yours around and live FREE!

ReplyQuote
The Evil Genius
Admin
03/06/2020 1:55 pm  

NO NO NO You guys have it all wrong---because you are slaves to the white male historical patriarchy. Apparently you haven't read the politically correct revision of these historical events. You see it offends the feelings of non-white and females to learn of Mr. Marconi and his invention. So to assuage their sensitivities we have the NEW history of the wireless! 

You see it was invented by a Nigerian guy and his pet minky using bamboo twigs, coconut shells and rocks but the poor guy just couldn't get it to work until his wife took over the project and used an electric eel from a nearby swamp to provide the necessary power ---Thanks DEAR! Well some Italian colonists showed up one day and rather than trade some colorful beads for the invention they simply stole it brought it back to Italy and Marconi's wife bought the proto-type at a vegetable market, deduced what it was and its vast implications and gave it to her husband who then went on to patent it. (After of course explaining to him 50 times what it was and how it worked.) 

fortunately I will pray for you guys and hope your white/male/privilege/  can be forgiven:

"OH GREAT AND MIGHTY OBAMA --- we beg you to take a moment from sucking down your fourth serving of lobster thermidor this morning to confer upon these white male devils your awesome wisdom and enlightenment! Purge them of their wicked addiction to history, truth, and facts! Grant them access to your anus where they may smooch and inhale the ambrosia that is your anal wind as it breaketh!"

There you heathens and don't let it happen again! Sheeeeesh next thing you'll be telling me some male white guys invented the auto, or the air plane or the phone or some such---THEN correction will need to be administered!    

correction: that is a SMALL minky to be exact. 

ReplyQuote
Don Keyknob
03/06/2020 8:29 pm  

I thought he was a black, disabled, transgendered lesbian from Mexico?????

ReplyQuote
Untamed
Founder
06/06/2020 9:20 am  
Posted by: @don-keyknob

I thought he was a black, disabled, transgendered lesbian from Mexico?????

NO, that was his cousin... get your facts straight.

ReplyQuote
GregBO
Admin
06/06/2020 11:25 am  

@untamed

On his brothers Uncle's side...once removed

ReplyQuote
Untamed
Founder
12/06/2020 5:52 pm  
Posted by: @gregbo

@untamed

On his brothers Uncle's side...once removed

Yeah... I wonder why the mass nuts aren't asking for the removal of those communication cables. I mean, Marconi was white, right? Hence, in their mass delirium, he was fascist and "probably" owned slaves.

No, they need that shit so everything is fine. 

They're fucking lucky I don't work in a nuclear reactor. I'd shut that SOB down, create a surcharge in the whole grid and let them fend for themselves. They're lucky we men aren't destroyers but creators and co-creator. 

Taking statues down... what a bunch retarded degenerates.

ReplyQuote
Advertisements